Pie

If turkey is the traditional Thanksgiving main course, then pie must be the traditional Thanksgiving dessert.  I read that pumpkin, apple, sweet potato and pecan are some of the most common varieties eaten at end of the Thanksgiving meal.  I know I’m looking forward to eating some pie next Thursday! My sis-in-law will definitely make a pie or two from scratch, but my parents will have baked some of those frozen ones you find at the grocery store.  I love to enjoy a homemade pie, but I’ve also had some great “buy frozen and bake” pies too.  

I think there are three ways to go for pie at Thanksgiving: 1) bake from scratch, 2) buy frozen from the supermarket, or 3) get one premade from a specialty store.

From Scratch

If you are so inspired to make your own pie, you can read Smitten Kitchen’s Pie Crust 101 and Pie Crust 102 posts.

image Smitten Kitchen’s Apple Pie

image

Smitten Kitchen’s Chocolate Pudding Pie

And here’s a cool tutorial on how to make that gorgeous lattice topping.

image

image

Elsie Marley

Frozen

One of the best frozen-just-pop-it-into-the-oven-pies I’ve ever tried is the Mrs. Smith’s Deep Dish Apple Pie.  This pie is really flaky and has great flavor.  It’s sold in the frozen section of the grocery store and, in my neck of the woods, it always sells out, so if I want it for Thanksgiving, I buy it early.  It takes 60-70 minutes to cook. 

image 

image

Specialty Store

In Houston there are some wonderful bakeries and specialty stores who do all the work for you and make delicious pies.  One store in particular is known to have a line an hour long on holiday eves like Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I guess if it’s tried and true, it can become a tradition to get in line for one of these pies each year.

image

Grand Central Bakery

image

Will you be having pie at your Thanksgiving table?  If so, which kind?

P.S.  I am guest posting at Michaela Noelle and Ten June today (Thursday Nov 18).  I shared what Grace means to me with Michaela and our updated Thanksgiving table at Ten June:)  Thanks for having me ladies! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment