{DIY} Christmas Tray

What a nice loooong weekend!  It felt really long to me- in a good way!  We had a great Thanksgiving followed by some decorating and a little shopping for more holiday decorations.  Have you been bustling around decorating your home?  Did you at least get your tree up?  We did, but it’s still a work in progress.  I used red, blue, silver and white in the tree and, at first, it looked like an American flag.  Now, I love the flag and all, but that’s not the look I was going for!  I’ve been adding more turquoise and silver ornaments and I think it’s looking better now.  Also, James is like a moth to a flame with the tree, so there’s really no ornaments on the bottom quarter of it.  Oh, and part of the lights are out!  Might chalk it up to ‘character” this year! 

But, there are other holiday touches that are much less complex and took mere minutes to accomplish.  Yay for those!! 

You know when you do or see a project and then think, “Oh, you could so easily change that out with the seasons or for the holidays!”?  Well, that’s what I did recently with our living room tray. 

image

Remember this tray?  It was originally a plain, brown tray from Target that I snazzed up by lining it with black and white chevron fabric.

image

We use the tray on our living room ottoman to hold the remote, drinks, magazines and such. 

image

In light of the holidays, the tray got a mini makeover.  I swapped out the fabric for some wrapping paper that has a special message for Santa;)  I think I’ll be on the lookout for some cute holiday fabric too in case I want to change it again.

image

image

I added ribbon to the paper, then covered the paper and ribbon with a thin piece of plexiglass (thanks for the great idea Lauren- and have you seen her holiday decor?  So gorgeous!).

The plexiglass is perfect for preventing the fabric or paper from getting spills, etc.  I got mine at Hobby Lobby and had them cut it for $1.00 per cut.  On top of the plexiglass, I affixed an inexpensive green bow. 

image

Here’s how the tray looks on our ottoman when James isn’t around! 

image

I’m curious what holiday decorating you did over the weekend, if any.  Or were you shopping the weekend away?!  I’m realizing that it takes much longer to do the decorating with a baby:) 

**********

I’m sharing this post with Kate, AKA Centsational Girl!  I love her button!!

image

0 comments:

Post a Comment