My Closet {The Inside Scoop}

The “Mom Cave” post about my closet was one of the most commented on posts I’ve written to date.  Thank you!!  I must admit, at first I felt a little bit silly admitting that my closet was my mom cave, but it really is a space I love.  I truly really appreciate having the space in our home for this dream closet.  

Coming from a townhouse with small closets, where I had to be very creative in utilizing every square inch, I knew that when we had the opportunity to build our home that a nice-sized closet with lots of storage space would be a dream come true. 

image

I worked with our builder to design a closet that was just off of our bathroom and measured 9’4 x 13’2!  When people looked at our floor plan, sometimes they’d point to the space for my closet and remark, “oh, another small bedroom?”  Um, no, that’s going to be my closet. 

image






We designed the closet to include an island with cubbies in the middle, a shoe rack, built-in dresser, adjustable hanging shelves, and shelves for purses.

image image

Adding windows would give the room some natural light.  I knew from the get-go, much to my husband’s chagrin, that I’d love to have a really cool Murray Feiss Lucia Oval Chandelier

 in the closet. 

image


After the carpet was installed, wood was painted, and shelves were installed, it looked like this, my closet heaven!

image

One of the keys to organizing my closet is editing.  I am constantly reviewing what I have and donating or giving away what I’m not wearing or doesn’t fit.  Even though post-baby, not everything fits yet (but almost:), and my “work” clothes are patiently waiting to see the light of day, I feel that displaying them in a nice way honors them and keeps them happy. 

Lightweight sweaters are hung using children’s white plastic hangers from Target.  I like folding them over the hanger versus hanging them because it keeps the shoulders from getting annoying points.   Yes, that’s my wedding dress in the back.  What do you do with that??  The Tory Burch bags are empty, I just like the pattern.

image


image

Pants are hung on wire hangers from Bed, Bath and Beyond and jeans are on small felt hangers that won’t bow in the middle. 

image

Before the shoe rack was built, I counted my shoes to see how much space I’d need.  Then I had the top shelf taken out so I could put boots there. 

image

On the right side of the island, I keep my tank tops, casual long sleeve shirts, and shorts/capri pants. 

image

On the left, storage bins from Target hold belts, bikinis, and scarves.  The zebra ottoman is from Hobby Lobby.

image

The flower vase and candy jar are from Home Goods, the runner from World Market, and the clear bin holding my makeup is from The Container Store. 

image

The pretty make up holders are from Anthropology.   And inside the candy jar . . . Hershey Kisses Meltaway:)

image  Closet 094

Inside the dresser drawers are jewelry, undies, gym clothes, and sleepwear.  The full-length mirror to the left of the dresser is where I plop down and do my makeup each day.

image

I created the necklace holder behind the door using Command hooks.  Purses are stored on shelves.Closet 017

The clothes hamper is from Crate & Barrel, and the monogrammed liner is from Restoration Hardware Baby & Child.

Closet 049

The light fixture we chose is from Lighting, Inc. in Houston, Texas. 


image


Wishing you a happy weekend!   I’m sharing this post at Miss Mustard Seed.

**To see more of our home, you can check out today’s post at Southern Hospitality.  Thanks for the feature, Rhoda!

And I’m also sharing this post with Rhoda’s Top Projects 2010

image

and The Lettered Cottage too!

image

0 comments:

Post a Comment