Decorating with Books

See full size imageMy husband and I both love reading, and accordingly, have amassed quite a collection of books over the years.  We made sure when designing our new house to have lots of built-in bookcases to house all of our books.  When we moved, I swear most of our boxes were filled with books.  I am definitely a “real book” reader- haven’t even tried the Kimble or whatever its called because I just love the feel of a book in my hand and, when I read in bed, I just prefer holding an actual book and turning the pages.  Old-fashioned? Probably, but I like it that way. 

And I love decorating with books.  You can tell a lot by a person by the books they read.  In my house, you would guess I’m into God/religion/spirituality, decor, parenting/babies, fashion, and cooking.  My husband’s books are all about business, law, and history. 

I’ve gotten a lot of inspiration for decorating with books from blogland and I especially love those “rainbow” bookshelves and wanted to try my hand at it.  I’m pretty familiar with my books, so I’m sure I won’t have any trouble locating them even though they aren’t categorized by subject. 

Here’s my rainbow bookshelf in the upstairs hallway.  All I did was group the books into rainbow order by their spines and then arrange them on the shelf.   I reworked it a couple of times, and ended up with this:

basket, book, James, walls, J bath 001

basket, book, James, walls, J bath 002

Here’s the close up:

basket, book, James, walls, J bath 007    basket, book, James, walls, J bath 004  basket, book, James, walls, J bath 006

Here are a few other places in my home that I’ve used books as decor. 

Living Room

Living Room July 2010 009

  Books 001

Kitchen

   Books 007

James’ Nursery

 Books 023

  Books 025 Books 026

  Here are some of my inspiration images:

color-bookshelf- Brooklyn Limestone

*Flicker via Chotda

5-15-08bookshelfext.jpg

Eccentric Scholar via Apartment Therapy

 malenecharles- Design Sponge christinemartinez- Design Sponge 

*Malene Charles & Christine Martinez (both via Design Sponge)

eringateslivingroom_thumb[2] 

*Erin Gates former home.  Elements of Style                

kellydoust1- Design Sponge atlshowhouse_thumb1

*Kelly Doust via Design Sponge      

Leah Richardson

*Leah Richardson 

north_vancouver10_thumb[20]

                 *David Jimenez

Picture_1- J Crew *J Crew

*First image via science blogs.

*********

I’m sharing this post with these fabulous blogs:

A Few of My Favorite Things * All Thingz Related * Blue Cricket Design * C.R.A.F.T. * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Infarrantly Creative * Just A Girl * Keeping it Simple * Mad in Crafts * Me and My Bucket * Miss Mustard Seed * New Nostalgia * Remodelaholic * Seven Thirty Three * Serenity Now * Super Stinky Boys * Tatertots and Jello * The Inspired Room * The Shabby Chic Cottage * The Shabby Nest * Thrifty Decor Chick * Today’s Creative Blog * Under the Table and Dreaming

and at these parties.

0 comments:

Post a Comment