Organized TOYS {Sixty-Fifth Avenue}

Happy Monday to You!  Over the weekend, I visited a friend at her house to discuss how I could help her get her home organized and running more efficiently.  She has a two year-old son and a baby due in two weeks, and needs some help with a few areas in her house, specifically, the bathroom, closets, and mudroom.  Our mutual friend actually retained me to help her organize these spaces because she knows I have a (not-so-secret-anymore) desire to become a professional organizer!  I am excited to announce that I am now offering my organization services to clients in the Houston area. 

If you live in the area and would like to discuss your specific situation and organizational needs, email me at:  honeywerehomeblog@gmail.com 

***********

Today I’m ready to dive into more brilliant and creative organizing solutions for you.  Our guest post comes from Londen of Sixty-Fifth Avenue.  I found her blog while browsing the links from Centsational Girl’s “Where I Blog” party and when I saw photos of Londen’s home, I was instantly smitten.  She brings a relaxed charm to her home that I really love.  If you’re new to Sixty-Fifth Avenue, I recommend starting HERE, which showcases some of the spaces in Londen’s home.

image

**********

Hello everyone! I am thrilled to be here today! Megan's blog is one of my daily reads; I am always inspired by her.

When our daughter was a baby, all of her toys fit into a small basket in the living room. As she grew, so did her basket of toys. Before I knew it one large basket was not enough to contain them all. That is when we decided to give up our rarely used guest room and turn it into a playroom. The toys still come out and get scattered all over, but now they have a place to go at the end of the day and clean up is a snap.

If you don't have the space for a dedicated toy room, you can still use these ideas to keep the clutter…I mean toys in their place.

Designate a place for everything. If something doesn't have a home it won't get put away. Bookshelves and baskets are the main organizing tool in our house.

picture 1

I love using labels. These simple chalkboard labels are inexpensive and so easy to make.

picture 2

I found my wooden labels at Hobby Lobby for less than fifty cents each. I drilled two holes and painted them with chalkboard paint.

picture 3

picture 4

A chalkboard pen works great because it doesn't smear easily.

picture 5

Little pails are perfect for keeping all the tiny pieces together. I found mine in the dollar section at Target.

picture 6

You can find these canvas totes to match any decor. If storage is pretty, you don't have to hide it away.

Rotating toys keeps kids interested and makes them easier to manage. We store our rotated toys in a toy box that we keep in the little ones closet.

With a smaller number of toys to manage, children's organization skills can easily be developed by establishing cleaning rituals. Plan a time of the day to have the floor picked up. If things get out of control, we do a midday clean up; otherwise we wait until the end of the day. Waking up to a clean house gives us a fresh start.

Thanks for having me Megan!

image

**********

Thank you Londen!  And can you believe that her husband hand-painted those trees and birds on the wall free hand?!  Go HERE to see the room’s transformation.

image

image

image image

0 comments:

Post a Comment