Mudroom {Revealed} and DIY Pillows

It’s been quite a week for our little mudroom or mud “hallway”.  My goal was to transform this transition space into something a bit cheerier since it’s the way we enter our home from the garage.  We started with this:

Mudroom 003

Cleared the decks and began fresh:

Mudroom 005

Painted some stripes and inserted decorative storage baskets {Target $9.99} into the cubbies:

Mudroom 014

Made a no-sew bench seat and added a mirror {Hobby Lobby- $25 on sale}:

Giraffe, bench, pillows 011  Giraffe, bench, pillows 006Giraffe, bench, pillows 002 

 

 

 

 

 

 

{mirror before a couple of coats of white spray paint}

Bedroom furniture makeover 003

And finally, adorned the bench with a few pillows made from scratch with my brand new sewing machine!  I’ve never sewn before, so this is a new adventure for me.  Be kind. 

HOW TO SEW A PILLOW

I basically followed the tutorial by Janell at Isabella & Max Rooms, except I didn’t use a pillow insert, I used poly stuffing.  And although I did iron my fabric before sewing, I didn’t iron the seams. 

1.  Lay the fabric inside out, use chalk to make an outline for where to sew, and secure with straight pins.

Giraffe, bench, pillows 028   Giraffe, bench, pillows 017 Giraffe, bench, pillows 018

2.  Sew your stitches leaving a 6-inch opening to insert the stuffing, trim the excess fabric.

 Giraffe, bench, pillows 020 Giraffe, bench, pillows 021   Giraffe, bench, pillows 022

3.  Turn the fabric right-side out and stuff the pillow full being mindful of lumps.

Giraffe, bench, pillows 023 Giraffe, bench, pillows 024 Giraffe, bench, pillows 025

4.  Pin the final opening and handstitch closed while watching Top Chef.

Giraffe, bench, pillows 026  Giraffe, bench, pillows 027

After adding a few more pillows, our mudroom now looks like this:

bench pillows 010

bench pillows 009

bench pillows 013 

And because I love a good “before” and “after”:

 BEFORE

Mudroom 005

AFTER

bench pillows 011

 bench pillows 015

Now that’s a space I’m happy to come home to!  Have a great weekend y’all!  I’ve got fall decor on my mind for the weekend, hmmm . . . .

**********

I’m sharing this post with these fabulous blogs:

It’s So Very Cheri * A Few of My Favorite Things * All Thingz Related * Blue Cricket Design * C.R.A.F.T. * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Infarrantly Creative * Just A Girl * Keeping it Simple * Mad in Crafts * Me and My Bucket * Miss Mustard Seed * New Nostalgia * Remodelaholic * Seven Thirty Three * Serenity Now * Super Stinky Boys * Tatertots and Jello * The Inspired Room * The Shabby Chic Cottage * The Shabby Nest * Thrifty Decor Chick * Today’s Creative Blog * Under the Table and Dreaming

0 comments:

Post a Comment