Mudroom in Progress {Painted Stripes}

We don’t have a mudroom per se, it’s more like a mud hallway.  An area off of my garage, across from the pantry, that leads to the kitchen.  It’s a great place to load James in and out of his car seat, kick off my shoes, set shopping bags, store keys and future backpacks.  Here’s what it looks like most of the time.

Mudroom 001

It definitely needs a little sprucing up, so the game plan is to paint stripes along the wall and hang that starburst mirror, place some baskets in the cubbies, and make a seat cushion for the bench.

PROJECT #1:  Paint Stripes

To give the walls a bit of subtle personality, I decided to add a couple of white stripes to the already creamy/tan painted walls.  As I mentioned, this hallway leads to our all white kitchen, so I didn’t want anything that would clash.

Step 1:  Clear the clutter.  Ahhh- a fresh slate feels so good.

    Mudroom 004

Step 2:  Measure the walls vertically to determine how wide to size your stripes.   I wanted sizeable stripes (about 6 inches), but only wanted to paint two in the middle so I didn’t have to paint near the bench or hooks.  The bottom tan stripe would be about 8 inches, but that’s okay with me since I plan to put a bench seat there anyway, which will cover some of the tan, making the stripes look about even in height. 

Mudroom 006

Step 3:  Use a laser leveler as your guide for taping.

 Mudroom 008 

Step 4:  I placed the green Frog Tape just above the laser mark and a second layer of blue tape for added protection and to ensure that I knew to paint inside the green lines.

Mudroom 009 Mudroom 010

Step 5:  I removed the tape as soon as I was done painting and had even lines without much seepage under the tape.  There are a few tiny areas that aren’t perfect, but I don’t think anyone but me would notice.  I read on All Things G&D, that you can paint Behr Faux Glaze over your tape and wall to “seal” the tape to the wall to ensure that no paint seeps through.  We have “orange peel” textured walls, so the glaze probably would have ensured perfect results.

Mudroom 016

Mudroom 011

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Step 6:  Add some decorative woven baskets from Target ($9.99 each).

Mudroom 012 

BEFORE

Mudroom 003

AFTER

Mudroom 014

Mudroom 015 

Next up, a no-sew bench seat cushion!  Have you tried using the glaze that Dusty recommended to seal the tape to the wall and prevent seepage?  If so, how were your results? 

**********

I’m sharing this post at these fabulous blogs:

{M} Between Naps on the Porch * Making The World Cuter * The Girl Creative * Sumo’s Sweet Stuff * The DIY Showoff * Thrifty Decor Chick * Skip To My Lou * Keeping it Simple * Mad in Crafts * Super Stinky Boys * C.R.A.F.T. {T} Tip Junkie * Today’s Creative Blog * All Thingz Related * Sugar Bee * New Nostalgia * I’m Topsy Turvy {W} Blue Cricket Design * Me and my Bucket * Someday Crafts * Domestically Speaking * My Backyard Eden * The Thrifty Home * Women Who Do It All * Gettin’ Crafty on Hump Day {Th} House of Hepworths * Somewhat Simple * The Shabby Chic Cottage * Beyond The Picket Fence * Life as Lori {F} Serenity Now * Infarrantly Creative *Just a Girl * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Decor Mamma * Remodelaholic * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Fun to Craft * Miss Mustard Seed * The Shabby Nest * The Inspired Room * The Girl Creative New Friend Friday * A Few of My Favorite Things * My Romantic Home {S} A Vision to Remember * Funky Junk Interiors * A Little Lovely * Tatertots and Jello * Be Different Act Normal * Mural Maker {S} I Heart Nap Time * Under the Table and Dreaming

0 comments:

Post a Comment