Mudroom in Progress {No Sew Bench Seat}

In an effort to beautify my mudroom, I painted stripes on the main wall, added some baskets, and decided to make a seat cushion for the bench.  I could have agonized over the fabric for days!  I actually did go to Hobby Lobby three times, Joann’s three times, and briefly scoured the Internet.  Can you believe I’ve never bought fabric before??  It was a whole new wonderful world for me:)  I bought about ten samples but ended up deciding on this, (which, by the way, my husband said was too “floral”).  It’s from Joann’s and was on sale for $5.00 a yard.

Mudroom 024

To make the bench seat, I used these tools/supplies:

  • Lumber (2 @ 55 x22 inches)
  • Fabric (4 yards)
  • Saw (only because we had to make an extra cut in the wood due to a weird corner in our bench)
  • Poly foam (3 inch)
  • Batting
  • Wood glue
  • Scissors
  • Serrated knife
  • Staple gun
  • Iron

Mudroom 005

Step 1:  Measure the bench to determine how much wood you’ll need for the seat.  My bench is really long (111 x 22 inches)!  So I decided to make two bench seats. 

Step 2:  I went to Lowe’s and they cut two pieces of plywood for me.  We have an annoying angle in one corner, so my husband had to cut a corner out of one of the pieces for me.

Mudroom 008 

Step 3:  Cut the poly foam with a serrated knife to fit on top of your wood.  My project required 2 full (22x22 sheets and a half) per board.

Mudroom 009

Step 4:  Use wood glue to glue the poly foam to the wood.

Step 5:  Once the glue is dry and the poly is secured to the wood (I didn’t wait that long), cover the foam with batting and trim to fit.

 Mudroom 012

Step 6:  Use a staple gun to staple the batting to the underneath side of the wood.  Be careful to smooth the batting before stapling so that the fabric can lay smooth and flat without wrinkles when it’s time to cover.  Trim the excess batting.

 Mudroom 014

Step 7:  Iron the fabric to remove any wrinkles or creases.

 Mudroom 015

Step 8:  Lay the wood, batting side down on top of your upside-down fabric. 

Mudroom 016 

Step 9:  Pull the fabric taut and staple to the wood.  After stapling the first side, I stood the wood on it’s side so that I could smooth the fabric very well before stapling the second side.

Mudroom 018

Mudroom 020

 

 

 

 

 

 

Step 10:  Fold the corners and staple closed.  I folded mine like a gift because I’m good at wrapping presents.  I’m sure there’s a better way to do this. 

Mudroom 021

Step 11:  Trim the excess fabric.

Mudroom 022

And there you have it! 

bench pillows 002

By the way, if you’re interested in seat recovering, Ashley at The Hillside Home recently recovered her dining room chairs and they came out great.

**********

I’m sharing this post at these fabulous blogs:

{M} Between Naps on the Porch * Making The World Cuter * The Girl Creative * Sumo’s Sweet Stuff * Thrifty Decor Chick * Skip To My Lou * Keeping it Simple * Mad in Crafts * Super Stinky Boys * C.R.A.F.T. {T} Tip Junkie * Today’s Creative Blog * All Thingz Related * Sugar Bee * New Nostalgia * I’m Topsy Turvy {W} Blue Cricket Design * Me and my Bucket * Someday Crafts * Domestically Speaking * My Backyard Eden * The Thrifty Home * Women Who Do It All * Gettin’ Crafty on Hump Day {Th} House of Hepworths * Somewhat Simple * The Shabby Chic Cottage * Beyond The Picket Fence * Life as Lori {F} Serenity Now * Infarrantly Creative *Just a Girl * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Decor Mamma * Remodelaholic * Fingerprints on the Fridge * Fun to Craft * Miss Mustard Seed * The Shabby Nest * The Inspired Room * The Girl Creative New Friend Friday * A Few of My Favorite Things * My Romantic Home {S} A Vision to Remember * Funky Junk Interiors * A Little Lovely * Tatertots and Jello * Be Different Act Normal * Perfectly Imperfect {S} I Heart Nap Time * Under the Table and Dreaming

0 comments:

Post a Comment