Family Room in Progress

Since we seem to spend the most time in the living room, (and especially on the couch), I thought it would be a good place to start- decor wise.  I was thinking it should be pretty easy since we already have the sofa, a nice built-in media/bookshelf cabinet and good bones like dark hardwood floors and nice windows. 

So far, here’s what I’ve come up with:

BEFORE

June 2010 (House) 005

AFTER

Living Room July 2010 023

  Living Room July 2010 001

 Living Room July 2010 012

Living Room July 2010 002

Living Room July 2010 018

 Living Room July 2010 013

Living Room July 2010 020

Living Room July 2010 019 

Living Room July 2010 007 

Living Room July 2010 009

 Living Room July 2010 003

 Living Room July 2010 015

Living Room July 2010 004

 Living Room July 2010 005 Living Room July 2010 011

           Living Room July 2010 016       

I wanted to keep the color palette very neutral and serene without being too boring.  See my inspiration living rooms here.  I hoped that the added texture in the rug, large vases and pillows would add some visual interest.  Accessorizing the bookshelves is a bit of a challenge for me.  I try to keep the scale in balance and changed the heights of the shelves.  It’s not done, I’m still working it out and also need something for the top of the media cabinet.  I’m probably going to remove that middle shelf so that I can put something larger there.  I’m also thinking of adding some large scale branches or bamboo sticks to the floor vases to draw the eye up.   And maybe some art or framed photos on the walls adjacent to the bookshelf??

I definitely want to add some curtains, but am kind of at a loss on where to start.  I was thinking it would be great to do a pattern since the room is pretty neutral and solid.  Janell at Isabella and Max Rooms did a great post recently on dramatic drapes- I’m inspired!  What do you suggest?

Source List

  • Sectional, lamps and end tables- Pottery Barn
  • Rug- Crate & Barrel (Chevron- color Honey)
  • Pillows- West Elm and Pottery Barn (large sweater pillow)
  • Large rattan vases and throw blanket- Z Gallerie
  • Ottoman- Overstock
  • Decorative accessories in media cabinet- Michaels, West Elm, Hobby Lobby, Crate & Barrel

p.s. notice the laptop on the coffee table near the window?  That little corner of the couch is where I write most of my blog posts:)

**Update** I recently added some decorative sticks to the floor vases (see it here) and painted the back of the media cabinet and changed the accessories (see it here).

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment